How Mold Affects Your Health
Mold is a type of fungus that grows on organic matter in moist environments. Certain kinds of molds are toxic to humans and produce allergens that cause allergic reactions in most people.
Black mold is what you have to watch out for the most. It causes allergic reactions that can severely affect your breathing, skin, energy, immune system, and blood circulation. As a result, the affected person could become significantly ill. It all depends on how many mold spores were inhaled into the lungs. If you have mold in your home or business in San Diego, call Orange Restoration today! (619) 376-6838
Let’s discuss the four most common effects of mold on human health.
The number one effect of mold on your health is breathing problems. When mold spores enter your respiratory system, you could experience coughing, shortness of breath, and wheezing symptoms. But if you only had minimal exposure to mold spores, you won’t experience any worsening symptoms.
However, if you have too much exposure to mold spores, you could develop more severe respiratory health conditions, such as lung swelling and bleeding. These conditions could ultimately put your life in danger.
Weak Immune System
Black mold produces a specific toxic substance called mycotoxin. If you inhale too many mycotoxins, they will suppress and weaken your immune system. Then you could become more susceptible to diseases, viruses, infections, and other forms of sickness.
People who live in damp and humid environments tend to get sick more often because of the vast amount of mycotoxins in the air. The best thing you can do is protect your face outside and turn on a dehumidifier in your home to eliminate moisture.
Poor Blood Circulation
Your body depends on blood circulation to deliver vital vitamins, oxygen, and nutrients to its precious cells and organs. Since mycotoxins can weaken your body’s blood circulation, they can cause you to develop various health conditions and symptoms.
Some of the worst potential symptoms of poor blood circulation include heart inflammation, blood clots, irregular heartbeat, and internal bleeding. These symptoms are the result of long-term mold exposure but don’t take any chances regardless. Everyone has a different tolerance level to even the smallest amounts of mold spores.
If you have incurred long-term mold exposure, the immune system will attempt to battle the mycotoxins in the bloodstream. One of its natural defense mechanisms against mold is the production of a sedative known as Chloral Hydrate.
As the mycotoxins circulate in the bloodstream, this sedative will reduce the severe effects of the toxins on the body. Unfortunately, you may experience some uncomfortable symptoms during this process. The most common symptoms are chronic fatigue and drowsiness. Some people even experience muscle pain and joint pain too.
Take mold seriously. It can have devastating effects on people’s health and wellness, especially if they have a preexisting respiratory or immunodeficiency condition.
The best ways to prevent mold growth are to maintain a dry indoor environment. Try to avoid water leaks and moisture accumulation. If you notice any mold growth, wear a face mask and clean it up immediately. Call a professional mold damage remediation company if the mold growth has spread too much onto the walls and ceiling of your home. (619) 376-6838