From time to time warm water in the Equatorial Pacific causes weather patterns that cause heavier than usual rainfall in the southern United States. The phenomenon is known as El Nino and can have a huge influence on climate change.
The following outlines a number of steps you can take to protect your property against potential damage from expected rainy weather.
How to Prepare for Heavy Rains
Heavy rains pose a significant risk of flood damage. Here are some things to keep in mind:
• Do you have flood insurance? Most standard homeowners insurance does not cover flood damage. If you aren’t sure, call your insurance agent to find out.
• Do you have a backup for your sump pump? If not, and if your power goes out in a storm, you could be in trouble.
• Do you have a generator in case power goes out?
• Are there back pump preventers on the sewer drains in your area?
• Does ice or water tend to accumulate on sidewalks?
Identifying and Repairing Roof Leaks
Second to basement flooding, roof damage is one of the most common sources of water damage in heavy rains. Here are some things you can do to prevent problems with your roof in a storm:
- Are there trees near your home that need to be trimmed or loose branches that need to be removed?
- Does your roof flashing need to be replaced?
- Do you have damaged shingles that need to be repaired or missing shingles that need to be replaced?
- Is there debris in your gutters or other obstructions that need to be removed?
Taking care of these issues now, before rain hits, will help keep water out of your home.
Orange Restoration Can Help With Heavy Rain Water Damage
Having a problem with [insert service here]? Don’t delay – you’ll need an expert to handle the situation. Don’t wait while the problem becomes worse! We at Orange Restoration are fully capable of dealing with any type of emergency. All of our technicians are fully certified and trained in all facets of damage restoration. We will respond quickly and get your property back to its original state in no time at all. We are available for 24/7 emergency services. Give us a call today!