Finding water damage in your home or business is unexpected and can be extremely stressful. It can disrupt your daily life and result in loss of your valuables. Here are some tips to help prevent water damage on your property and what to do if it occurs.
Check your appliances!
– After flushing be sure that the water shuts off once the fill valve has finished resetting the bowl
– If the bowl or tank begins to overflow shut the water off at the supply valve
– Inspect the supply line for leaks every six months
– Inspect the flushing mechanism inside the tank every six months
– Replace the flapper assembly if the tank is refilling when not in use
– Inspect plumbing under the sink every six months
– Ensure connections are secure with no corrosion
– Inspect the water shut-off valve every six month to be sure valve is functioning
– Inspect tile or grout every six months for cracked or loose tiles or grout
– Test the shower pan annually for leaks
– Turn off supply valves when not in use
– Do not operate when no one is home
– Inspect the water supply line every six months
– Check the hoses for cracks or blisters
– Have a professional San Diego plumber inspect the anode rod at least once every two years
– Have the tank flushed every six months to remove sediment build up
– Visually inspect plumbing pipes annually
– Check your water bill for unexplained increases
– Insulate pipes in the attic or basement
Prevent water backup!
– Maintain gutters and downspouts, keeping free of debris and leaves
– Ensure downspout is at least ten feet away from the building
– Adjust landscape so water flows away
– Prevent backflow of sewer water by installing backflow valves and standpipes
– Drain any standing water with a sump pump system that also has a battery back up
– Check your A/C regularly to ensure that it is draining properly and no standing water is present
– Check your attic for air leaks or holes
In the event that any of these plumbing fixtures malfunction and flood your home, call a San Diego water damage company ASAP! Our water damage experts are 24/7 to address your needs. We know that quality is key, especially local quality. Our technicians are trained and certified and will be out to your home or business in the blink of an eye! We are committed to providing timely, personalized, expert services as well as providing restoration services to bring every San Diego property back to a healthy, dry, pre-loss condition at an affordable cost! Call now!