Any home owner could be accosted with a sudden need to handle a mold or mildew problem. No household is absolutely mold proof and it can be alarming to discover an ever increasing unpleasant odor that often accompanies mold and mildew.The best way to cope is to know in advance how to tackle such a problem if it does occur.This means that you will need to learn some good cleaning techniques that will help you remove mold and mildew and permanently keep it out of your home

The most important point to remember is that you should always avoid creating the conditions that make it convenient for mold and mildew to develop.Here are some tips on how to do this.If the air is flowing freely there is less chance for mold and mildew to develop.So, keep all areas of your home well ventilated, especially basements kitchens and any other place that tends to gather heat and moisture.

In order to avoid excess moisture use a humidifier. Be on the look out for any specks of food that have been left around on the floor or in corners by children or pets. If mold develops on these it is most likely to spread to the surrounding areas.

Even if you do take these measures, it is well worth your while to carefully search about your house for any signs of mold or mildew. Detecting these could be tricky so your key principle is to search mainly where there is a combination of moisture and heat.Start from the outer walls of your house. See if there is any green mold there.

Indoors, search beneath the flooring and any beams. Mold and mildew are likely to develop under carpets .kitchens cellars and pantries, and although it sounds unlikely (because refrigerators are cold), check that too. Get rid of any moldy foods there. Fruits vegetables meat and cheeses can all develop mold.

For porous surfaces it is preferable to get professional advice.However, non porous surfaces can be cleaned in the following manner.Once you have located the affected area, wipe it down thoroughly, brushing off any excess dirt.Prepare a bleach mixture: 1cup of bleach per gallon of water.From a spray bottle, spray this solution onto the suspected areas.Be sure to use gloves to avoid harm to your skin and keep the environment well ventilated to safeguard your respiratory tract from inhalation of the bleach.Scrub the area clean. It is best to do this with a brush. However if the surface is sensitive, you could use a dusting cloth.Rinse the area well and dry.Remind yourself that “prevention is better than cure” therefore, keep all areas uninviting to mold and mildew by keeping them dry and well ventilated.

Rate this post