While it’s crucial that you fireproof the exterior of your home in order to prevent wildfires from damaging your home, it’s just as important that you fireproof the inside of your home to protect from other types of fires. Fires cause billions of dollars in damage every year; by making simple adjustments to the interior of your home, you can lower your home’s risk of fire and fire damage.
1. Test your smoke alarms
Everyone has smoke detectors installed in their home. But those alarms are of no use if they don’t properly work. Every three to four months, check your smoke alarms. If any batteries are weak, replace them. Many fire insurance policies require that you have smoke detectors in your home or offer a reduction in your premium if you install them.
2. Don’t forget carbon monoxide detectors
While many people have smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors aren’t as popularly used—even though they should be. Carbon monoxide is created by the incomplete burning of fossil fuels. In homes, this is usually gas. Carbon monoxide is extremely dangerous, as it does not release a smell, taste, or color. If you leave a stove burner on, carbon monoxide is released into the atmosphere, filling your house. A carbon monoxide detector will notify you when this happens so you can look for the source of burning fuels, which can start a fire if not taken care of.
3. Fireproof your carpet and furniture
You can easily have your furniture coated with a fireproof chemical, either at a furniture store or at home by purchasing a fireproof spray. This will protect your furniture from setting fire as easily. If your home contains wool or synthetic carpeting, consider replacing them with fire resistant carpeting. Wool and synthetic carpets burn easily and the fire can spread quickly. Fire resistant carpeting will prevent fires from attacking your entire home.
4. Take it easy with electrical wiring
One of the most common causes of fires in the house is an electrical short circuit. This happens from overloading your wiring with devices that require significant electricity or from having old wiring in your home. Hire a licensed electrician to check your wiring and ensure the wires are not frayed (or eaten away at from rodents) and that you don’t have too many appliances running on one outlet. Never mess with electrical wiring on your own; not only can you electrocute yourself, but you could also end up causing a fire.
5. Load up with fire extinguishers
Your home should have fire extinguishers readily available and in every room. While you should certainly have extinguishers in your kitchen and garage, consider storing one in other rooms as well, especially near fireplaces, attics, basements, and any rooms that run appliances requiring excessive electricity.
If you have recently experienced a fire in your home or business and are in the process of finding a reliable fire damage restoration company in San Diego, give Orange Restoration a call today! (619) 376-6838