mold testing sampleHave you seen any traces of mold in your home? Are you worried about your health? It’s absolutely normal to be concerned about mold exposure. These microorganisms are found virtually everywhere and may cause serious health problems, such as allergies, fungal infection, and respiratory problems. Some produce mycotoxins, which make people sick. The only way to prevent these issues is to remove mold from your home or office.

Are Molds Really Dangerous?

Molds are types of fungi that grow on wood, leaves, foods and other organic materials. They can be found both indoors and outdoors. These microorganisms produce spores that are transported by air, water, and insects. When inhaled or ingested, molds cause allergic reactions, throat irritation, cough, sneezing, wheezing, nasal congestion, and breathing difficulties. Research indicates that exposure to mold may worsen asthma symptoms.

Some people are more sensitive to mold exposure than others, and can develop severe reactions. The risk is higher for those with chronic lung disorders and poor immunity. Individuals who live in homes with mold are more likely to develop bronchitis, systemic mycosis, and digestive tract infections. If you’re constantly exposed to mold at work or at home, you may experience asthma attacks, watery eyes, and runny nose.

It’s unknown how many species of fungi exist. Aspergillus, Penicillium, and Cladosporium are some of the most common indoor molds. These microorganisms grow in warm, humid conditions, and can survive extreme heat and cold. Outdoors they can be found in shady, moist areas, and places where leaves are decomposing. Molds can enter your home through windows, air conditioning, and heating systems, or grow in humid areas, such as the bathroom and kitchen sink. Large mold infestations are the easiest to detect.

How to Remove Mold Safely

Mold can cause permanent damage to your health. In rare cases, mycotoxins can cross into your brain and affect every system in your body. Fortunately, you can prevent these problems by controlling moisture in your home. These fungi can be removed from hard surfaces by using a bleach solution, soap, or commercial household products.

Since these microorganisms grow in humid areas, you can stop them from spreading by controlling moisture. Start by fixing plumbing leaks and repairing damaged roofs. Remove visible mold with commercial cleaning solutions. Change towels frequently. Dry the affected area within 24 hours to prevent mold growth. Have your heating and cooling system checked by a professional to make sure it works properly.

The best way to prevent mold growth is keeping indoor humidity below 60 percent. Discard mold-contaminated materials, such as carpets, ceiling tiles, and plaster. If mold has infested porous surfaces like rugs or wallpapers, throw them away. In case of severe mold infestation, hire an expert to clean the area. Extensive renovations may be required. Doing this job yourself can do more harm than good. After removing the mold, clean the area with a HEPA vacuum. Keep in mind that mold exposure can affect your health on long term. This problem requires immediate attention and shouldn’t be overlooked.

For immediate mold removal assistance in San Diego, call (619) 376-6828.

Why Is Mold Removal Necessary?
5 (100%) 1 vote