California Grill is a popular hang out and eatery for many of the local people in the area, who enjoy the delicious food and welcoming atmosphere. Recently, however, residents have had to forego their favourite meals due to water damage and flooding caused by the most unlikely of sources.
Jennifer Winsor, the manager at California Grill, had no idea that there was even a problem at the Grill until she was contacted at home by the local firefighting team, who informed her that one of the sprinklers in the ceiling had become frozen. This had then broken one of the pipes, and eventually flooded the entire building with water. The firefighters had discovered the basement three inches deep in water. The damage that was caused has taken over $200,000 to repair, and the process is not completely over yet.
One of the most heartbreaking aspects of this story is that the frozen pipe itself should never have happened – it was usually heated, ensuring that it could stay nice and warm without freezing and causing so much damage. In fact, in the last decade of operating amongst us, this is the first time that it has ever happened, and the long term repairs are only just beginning. Several pieces of kitchen equipment, none of them cheap, have also got to be replaced.
“There’s going to be, you know, a lot of painting, refinishing, flooring, a lot of that is still undecided at this stage,” said Jennifer Winsor. Of course, as well as decoration, it is vital to the wellbeing of the California Grill that they work hard to ensure that nothing like this happens again, so they can be confident in the knowledge that they will never receive a phone call like that from their local firefighters again.